Monday, June 2, 2008

Thankful


I am so thankful for my little family. I know I vent a lot about my problems with this or a situation with that, but really, I don't have a lot to complain about.

Yesterday at church, a girl walked up to the front with her dad, sat down, and waited to bear her testimony. For you non LDS, the first Sunday of the month, people get up and tell about their beliefs in the church. Anyway, I knew it was going to be very emotional. This girl, Jessica, is 16 and was born with Downs Syndrome. About a month ago, they found out that she has Leukemia. After all the medication she has been on, she now has diabetes. She had her little mask on and her hair was shorter than the last time she was at church. It was her turn and she stepped up to the microphone. She talked about how she loved her family and she wanted everyone to pray for her because she had been in Albuquerque in the hospital, like no one knew. Then she started to sob, saying she loved her mom. She just stood there and cried and cried. Everyone was crying. She was crying so hard you couldn't even understand her. They say she is doing much better than they expected. She is the oldest of 5 and I know it is a strain for their family.

I am just so grateful that even though I have crazy kids, they are for the most part healthy. That has to be so stressful. You just have to wonder why this girl was chosen to have to walk such a hard road.

I was thinking today, I want blessings in my life, who doesn't? But is it wrong to do the things you are supposed to do because you want those blessings or should you just do it because it is the right thing to do and hopefully you will receive blessings for it? Does the intent matter? I'm not sure. I will have to think about it some more.

Right now, I am keeping my head above water. I have these kids & a husband to take care of, not to mention the house, and church, and laundry, etc. And I need to sleep sometime, right? Some days I don't know if I should do the dishes, take a shower, or take a break. I have decided, some things right now are not a priority. My house is not going to be spotless because of who I live with. I can't do all the laundry and put it all away in one day...the clothes basket is never empty for very long. I would rather sit with my kids for an afternoon instead of clean the house, which is screaming at me, "THIS HOUSE IS A MESS!!!" I have given up cleaning after everyone else goes to bed. It's spotless at night...I don't even get to enjoy it! And unfortunately the cleaning fairy will not come overnight. It's still there in the morning.

After venting, I am still so thankful for those little mess makers. They make me smile everyday and have taught me unbelievable patience. I would be lost without them.

3 comments:

MBlairsLars said...

Your a great Mom and you do everything right. You have your priorities where they should be, and no one could ask for more!

Hillary said...

This is SO true! Who cares about the clean house, etc. What it boils down to is Family...your a great mom. Thanks for the reminding me about what is most important.

Monique said...

You vent away! That's what blogs are for! ;) As far as wanting blessings and doing things to get the blessings, nothing is particularly wrong with that, however, one thing we do gain is discipline for doing the things we don't want to do.

Housework is NOT one of those things...dont do housework LOL Or at least, don't measure your worth by how clean your house is. :)